Dark Sacred Night - Michael Connelly

I was given the privilege (courtesy of MBD) of an advanced, signed copy of this one. If Little Brown + Company were hoping I’d promote the book on the back of that, they were sorely mistaken.

Over time, I’ve read the entire Harry Bosch series, but in a rather haphazard order. Before reading Connelly’s latest offering, I thought it would be a good idea to go back to the start - the first Bosch story, The Black Echo.

The Black Echo is a great novel, a superb introduction to the Bosch character. While telling a tale, we learn of Harry’s problems with Internal Affairs, he works his moves with female officers, and we know the police brass don’t like his approach.

In Dark Sacred Night, Bosch has been paired with Ballard, the new star from the Connelly stable. Bosch, confined to cold cases, uses Renee’s spare time on the night shift to aid his investigations.

Renee made an impressive debut, but if she is to be partners with Bosch in future, as Connelly suggests, she will soon leave Harry in the dust.

At his advanced age, Harry is stretching reality with his lack of sleep. And he always seems to have money, not sure how he manages that on a semi-retired cop’s salary. Harry’s traditional ‘conquest’ is probably the best indication that he is not the detective we have enjoyed over 30 odd novels. Physical contests result in an inordinate amount of time in hospital.

We have nothing left to learn about Harry. Instead, you spend your time cringing as he maintains his one man war against city hall. Then imagine if your parents divorced, and you had to watch your father at 65 chatting up his new squeeze.

Even if I’d read my own review, I’d still want to read the new Bosch. I’d suggest this should be second last novel for Harry. One last hurrah, then let the poor bloke hobble off into retirement.